728x90 AdSpace

Latest News
Friday, 24 June 2016

Britain Votes For European Union Exit

Result for Brexit from EU
It is no more news that today was scheduled to be a great day out for the inhabitants of Britain to go to their polling stations to vote for or against Britain exit from European Union.

However, the telegraph have reported that 51.9% of the voters voted for Britain to leave, while the remaining 48.1% cast their votes in favour of Britain to remain in the European Union.

The result has led to the resignation of David Cameron as the Prime Minister of Britain.

ALSO READ: David Cameron Resignation Speech As UK Prime Minister

It followed a turbulent night with Remain campaigners quietly confident until the early hours when results from Newcastle and Sunderland showed better than expected returns for the Brexit camp.

A surprise victory for a Brexit in Swansea, which was expected to vote to Remain, did little to dampen concerns despite Scotland overwhelmingly backing staying in the Union.

Other votes in Wales began to show a trend towards a surprise Leave vote, particularly in deprived communities.

Big wins for David Cameron's campaign in London and Oxford did little to allay fears that early predictions had been wrong, as the pound began to tank - down by 6% by around 1pm.

Leave passed the finishing post just after 6am, as it became clear that nothing could swing the vote back in favour of the Remain campaign.

With the Leave campaign securing 52 per cent of the vote, Mr Cameron addressed the nation in an emotional speech outside 10 Downing Street to announce that he would be stepping down. 

Statements are expected to be made by Sinn Fein and the SNP later today calling for a breakaway from the Union. London backed Remain but the turnout was lower than expected because of bad weather.

Meanwhile on the market, the FTSE 250 index has plunged a whopping 11.7pc. The index of so-called mid-cap companies had dropped an astonishing 2,017 points to 15,309 in the first few minutes of trading.

Read Next: David Cameron Resigns As UK Prime Minister Following Britain's Vote To Leave The European Union

Joseph Etim

Joseph Etim (B. Tech) is a blogger, mobile web developer and a tutor with a zeal for positive effects.

Website: Pepetimsblog

  • Blogger Comments
  • Facebook Comments


Post a Comment

Disclaimer: The opinions conveyed in the comments section on this blog are those of the comment writers alone and it does not attest or portray the views of Joseph Etim.

Item Reviewed: Britain Votes For European Union Exit Rating: 5 Reviewed By: Joseph Etim