728x90 AdSpace

Latest News
Thursday, 30 June 2016

UNIBEN Succumbs To Threats From FG By Calling Off The Ongoing Admission Screening Exercise

UNIBEN Main Gate
The University of Benin admission screening exercise for 2016/2017 academic session has been suspended following the directive from the Federal Government (FG) seeking the cancellation of the examination by tertiary institutions in the country.

The Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, recently made a proclamation insisting on the scrapping of the Post-Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (Post-UTME) conducted by universities and other tertiary institutions for admission of applicants who scored a certain cut-off mark in JAMB exam. He ordered the return of Post-UTME fees collected from candidates by any higher institution of learning. He elaborated that any institution that fails to stick to the latest development will receive a penalty. 

According to the News Agency of Nigeria, the university's Public Relations Officer (PRO), Michael Osasuyi, confirmed the suspension on Tuesday, 28th June, 2016 in Benin.

The PRO stated that "the management has just announced the suspension of the exercise following the federal government directive. We regret any inconveniences this may have caused parents and prospective students as a new date for the screening will be communicated in due course". 

He further disclosed that a decision has not been taken on the refund of the Two Thousand Naira (N2000) Post-UTME registration fees. That all Vice Chancellors of the universities have been invited to a meeting in Abuja for a discussion that will include the decision on the registration fees.

NAN reports that the institution had earlier commenced screening for prospective undergraduates on Monday, 27th June, 2016 with some of the students writing a computer based test. Others were already seated for Tuesday’s screening when the announcement of the cancellation was made.

Some of the students who participated in the exercise told NAN that they spent between N3,500 and N5,000 in the purchase of the admission screening forms, including on-line registration. They said they had to answer about 75 questions in one hour.

Before the cancellation, the exercise which commenced Monday was slated to end on 9th July, 2016.

NAN reports that the Federal Ministry of Education had on Monday reiterated the ban on Post-UTME conducted by tertiary institutions for admission into universities and other higher schools of learning in the country.

"The ban is with immediate effect and under no circumstance should any institution violate the directive. Those who have already advertised for the conduct of the Post-UTME under any guise should stop the exercise immediately," the ministry had said.

Which one do you prefer? Post-UTME or No Post-UTME. 
  • Blogger Comments
  • Facebook Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: The opinions conveyed in the comments section on this blog are those of the comment writers alone and it does not attest or portray the views of Joseph Etim.

Item Reviewed: UNIBEN Succumbs To Threats From FG By Calling Off The Ongoing Admission Screening Exercise Rating: 5 Reviewed By: Joseph Etim